In 2017, I retraced the course that the 267th took through Mississippi and the East Coast as it trained to enter WWII in 1943.  Buildings and places that the 267th saw and experienced still exist today.  Below are images from that trip.

Troops of the 267th FAB Arrived at Hattiesburg MS, Adjacent to Camp Shelby

The Steam Locomotive and Baggage Car on the Hattiesburg Line Used During WWII

Train Station in Hattiesburg MS

Constructed in 1910, it was a Receiving Station for Soldiers attached to Camp Shelby

Views of the station from the downtown across the railroad yard and the train platform.

Downtown Hattiesburg MS

View of downtown from the Train Station

Remains of Old Bank Building, Downtown Hattisburg

Statue dedicated to soldiers who served in the Confederate Army.

Camp Shelby MS During WWII

Exhibit from the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum, Camp Shelby MS

Billeting at Camp Shelby

Silk Pillow made by the Local Ladies

Howitzers on display at the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum, Camp Shelby MS

155 Howitzer

Location Where 267 Field Artillery Battalion Billeted and Trained, Camp Shelby MS

The 267 FAB was billeted and trained in the area between 38th to 42nd Streets and 9th to 15th Avenues (Next to picture of soldier on horse).  It was assigned to Camp Shelby from its activation on 1 Mar 43 until 24 Dec 43.

Location Today Where 267 Field Artillery Battalion Billeted and Trained, Camp Shelby MS

The site where 267 FAB was quartered is open fields and a tank wash area in 2017

40th St Leading to Former 267th Billeting Area

Camp Shelby Parade Grounds

Recreation at Camp Shelby During WWII

USO's were also segregated in the South during WWII

267 FAB Participates in the Fourth Period 1943 Third Army Maneuvers in LouisianaSeptember to November 1943

Natchez, Mississippi

On 15 Sep 43, the Battalion departed Camp Shelby and traveled 165 miles to bivouac for the night at the Army Recreation Area, Natchez, MS. The former Army Recreational Area can still be seen in 2017 at Liberty Road and Sgt Prentiss Drive. It holds a National Guard Armory, city ball fields, the Natc

National Guard Armory, home to Company C 1-155 Combined Arms Battalion.

An origional building still used for maintenance

Ballfields remain in use today

Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi

Camp Van Dorn World War II Museum, Centreville MS in 2017

From 1-17 November 1943 the 267th FAB had a temporary change of station to Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi, where it participated in combined training with the 364th Infantry, an all-black unit.  On 15 November, the Battalion Commander, Colonel Hinsch was killed and 2 other officers wounded by a short round from an 81mm mortar.  To this day, rumors persist of a racially motivated massacre of black soldiers of the 364th, just prior to the arrival of the 267th.  

Centreville MS, adjacent to Camp Van Dorn

Train Station

Troop Train Arriving in Centreville

Guardshack at Entrance to Camp

Today there is nothing left of the Guardshack.  It is just an empty spot on Highway 19 south of Centreville

Tour of the Camp Van Dorn Area

Top: Historical Marker and a birm that remains from a rifle range.  Below: Old Servicemen's Club that is now the Centreville Police Station and me and Emma Zell Knighton, who lived in Centreville her entire life, who took us on a tour and shared amazing stories about the Camp.

Downtown Centreville during WWII

Downtown Centreville WWII

Downtown Centreville

It does not look much different than it did during WWII

Iverson McKey Market, Centreville MS

It looks the same as it did when it sold soda and snacks to the soldiers from Camp Van Dorn

Camp Van Dorn November 20, 1943 article on the accident that killed Colonel Hinsch

On Monday, November 15, 1943, the 267th suffered its only war death. Its Commanding Officer was killed in a training accident at Camp Van Dorn.

Family visits for Major Heenan, Lt Ainslie, Lt Berkowitz, Capt Huron, Hattiesburg American, 24 Nov 43

Lt Promotions for 267th, Hattiesburg American 2 Dec 43

First Lt. Frank Borsic assigned to 267th, Hattiesburg American, 2 Dec 43

The 267th FAB at Camp Kilmer NJ

The University kept the Camp street names. However, the only marker of Camp Kilmer is a bulletin board in the Rutgers Ecological Preserve on the white path.

Opened in the middle of 1942, Camp Kilmer was built as a transportation hub that ultimately processed over 20 divisions to participate in the Europe Theater of World War II.  By the end of the war, more than 3 million people walked through its gates, twice for some GIs, who both left and returned to it from Europe. 

The 1600-acre Camp was located between Edison and Piscataway, New Jersey.  It was named after the poet Joyce Kilmer, who enlisted in the U.S. Army during World War I and was killed in action in the Aisne-Marne offensive. To accommodate the 1,300,000 servicemen who temporarily staged at Camp Kilmer before being deployed to Europe, the camp had 1,120 buildings, including rows of wooden barracks, seven chapels, five theaters, nine post exchanges, a gym, three libraries, four telephone centers, a post office, a 1,000-bed hospital, 28 miles of roadway, and about 11 railheads that fed into the main line.

The camp was permanently inactivated in 1955 and eight years later nearly all the 1600 acres was auctioned and sold to local universities and colleges. Today, much of the base is Rutgers University’s Livingston Campus. 

 

 

The 267th Field Artillery Battalion awaited transport to the European Theater at Camp Kilmer between 26 June and 22 July 1944.  On 12 February 1946, the 267th returned from Europe to Camp Kilmer where it was inactivated, and its soldiers were processed back to civilian life.  

Remnants of Camp Kilmer on Rutgers Campus

Adjacent to the bulletin board are two berms, which were used to store ammunition.

Gate that protected the ammunition bunkers.

Fencing that protected the ammunition bunkers.

Driving along Cedar Lane as it curves along the southern border of Rutgers’ Livingston Campus are a series of one-story Camp Kilmer buildings still in use for Campus maintenance.

Remnants of Camp Kilmer in Edison NJ and Rutgers Campus

Edison Public Works

Former Barracks still in use by University

Portions of the Camp are still used by the Edison Job Corps, including some of the original barracks, the chapel and post flag pole. Most of the site is now occupied by the Timothy Christian School.

Officer Club still in use by University

Motor T Shop still used by Edison Public Works